Monday 1 March 2010

Avatar/Goliath vs Hurt Locker/David

With 6 days left to go before the big night, apparently the top contenders for the Academy’s Best Picture prize are The Hurt Locker and Avatar. Can anybody believe that? Small, indie production but with a powerful human-side battling against the golem in all shapes and sizes but with innovative technique? Doesn’t this look like a battle from the holy books? Yes, it does. It’s exactly like David and Goliath. And here’s what I think will be the aftermath of such a confrontation.

Crunching last box-office scraps, Avatar/Goliath is tired of the same food for last couple of months. He chewed out of other wannabes like Twilight, Sherlock Holmes, It’s Complicated, Daybreakers, Book of Eli, Lovely Bones, Edge of Darkness and many others. And now he’s biting his way into The Oscars with 9 nominations, including for the big one. A thought at which Avatar/Goliath grins everytime it crosses his mind. But he is tired. He’s tired of no real competition. Tired and furious on people not understanding what he has achieved and what he represents. He feels the eyes of the Gods/Academy carefully watching him almost feeling their breath warming up his backhead. The pressure is gaining on him, even if he’s as big as Titanic. Even bigger.

Somewhere in the far distance something slowly climbs uphill. It’s been a long year for Hurt Locker/David and he has reached incredible levels. He took on any challenges that his people gave him and he surpassed all. He came to the New Lands/USA in mid-year and didn’t became a sudden sensation in the box-office arena. But he slowly conquered the souls of his watchers and built a strong army of followers. Key-followers. His efforts have paid off. He carries the responsibility of 9 Oscar nominations, the most important ones.

Avatar/Goliath turns to see this ant approaching and feels his anger chocking him when he sees who it is. Nevertheless, he’s heard before of this... Hurt Locker/David.

AVATAR/GOLIATH: How dare you show your poster in front of me, scum? How dare you come near me? You’re not even the same genre!

HURT LOCKER/DAVID: But we’re being watched by the same crowd, sport! Just wanted to come here and assess the situation. See whats your status.

AVATAR/GOLIATH: Be gone, indie! Before I smash you with my 500 million production costs!

HURT LOCKER/DAVID: What? And send my ass flying to... Pandora?... Touching. I think your only fans between the Gods/Academy all travelled to the Blue-people planet and communication was interrupted. They can’t cast their vote throughout the Universe, mate.

AVATAR/GOLIATH: There are no limits to what I can do! I am the King !

HURT LOCKER/DAVID: You need a couple of humans, that can actually feel, to drag your blue-tail back to reality.

AVATAR/GOLIATH: Who are you to tell me what reality is?

HURT LOCKER/DAVID: You know me. I’m the one who stole the main prizes in front of your big-round eyes and made people feel human again. I’m the 11 million production that took the audience by surprise and reminded everybody about the terrible things we force ourselves to commit. About an unnecessary war that you so eagerly promote.

AVATAR/GOLIATH: You cannot compete with the simbolism of my war! My war is eliberating!

HURT LOCKER/GOLIATH: Your war is a fairy tale! It’s Pocahontas. Ridiculous.

AVATAR/GOLIATH: Made people dream again! Don’t you think they need that?

HURT LOCKER/GOLIATH: People need to realize the situation this world is in ! The situation our proud army is in. I’m their wake-up call!

AVATAR/GOLIATH: I stand for fulfilling people’s dreams. It’s the perfect drug.

HURT LOCKER/GOLIATH: War is a drug too. Powerful drug. You’ll see soon enough.

AVATAR/GOLIATH: You threaten me, bug?! You stand in front of innovation? In front of evolution? The future?

HURT LOKER/GOLIATH: I stand for a story that inspires people, not brainwash them. I stand for directors with passion who want to send a message, I stand for low-budget quality movies in these times of crisis!

Avatar/Goliath swiftly brings out his cutting-age-new-generation-stereoscopic-camera and slams it to the ground making the world tremble.

AVATAR/GOLIATH: Can you compare yourself to that??

Hurt Locker/David stares at the magnificent piece of movie-weaponry. A truly awesome site.

HURT LOCKER/DAVID: What use for it if what it shows is just someone else’s imagination? If it draws people to see it it’s because of the imagery, but not because of the feelings it stirs.

AVATAR/GOLIATH: It will get me what I want. Recognition.

HURT LOCKER/DAVID: It’s never enough, isn’t it?

Avatar/Goliath grins at the thought of it.

HURT LOCKER/DAVID: Don’t you get it? Don’t you understand that the prizes are... unobtainable? People minds are shifting. People are starting to get out of their sofas and look outside the window. They’re starting to take notice, to care, to act. It’s this world’s people that will show you that big things can be achieved by small people when there’s passion.

A moment of silence as this sinks in. Hurt Locker/David stands to leave.

HURT LOCKER/DAVID: I guess I said what I came here to say. I’ll fire my sling in six-day time and it will hit you where it hurts the most. In your pride.

Without any fear, he turns his back to Avatar/Goliath and walks away. The hill is silent now. Silent before the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment